Monday, August 24, 2015

One decision can change everything


The past year has been anything but ordinary for me. I never imagined that simply being unwilling to be miserable would change the course of my entire life.
I was never super skinny or extremely fit. In high school, I played sports but lost interest after an injury put me on the bench. My focus shifted to music and the arts. Becoming a mom at an early age, I began raising a family and very quickly, I put my health and happiness on the back burner. I struggled with depression, my husband worked long hours and life was exhausting and demanding. Food was comforting. I like comfort. Don't we all?! It wasn't until I had reached my heaviest weight (290#) that I realized I needed to do something different.
I'll never forget that day, crying while the kids were at school and my husband was at work. I had weighed myself that morning. Really?! Why in the world did that seem like a good idea?? 290. 290?! That can't be right. I stepped off the scale, reset it and tried again. I was mortified. How could this have happened? Panic set in. I needed a different number on that display. And more importantly, I never wanted to feel that way again.
I looked online for easy answers. Workout programs. Diets. Anything. After a few months of fumbling around, I had started going to Zumba classes with my mom. The instructor (who would later become my coach and best friend) asked if I wanted to run a 5K with her. I eagerly said, "Sure!" And then in the very next breath said, "But I don't run?!" Jump in with both feet, right?? I am thankful for her everyday!!!
Since I began this journey last year, I have now lost 95# and dropped 7 sizes. I have gone from not being able to run for 30 seconds to training for a half marathon. I am discovering what it is like to love life, to wear "normal sized" clothing, to be happy with myself instead of hating the world. I don't have secrets. There are no shakes, patches, pills, surgery, diets or potions. This is all possible with willpower, desire and sweat. Period.
This journey is no longer about fitting into my wedding dress, finding the desire to get out of bed each day, or seeing a certain number on the scale. My future is still being written, but I am certain it will include building strength, challenging myself everyday to be better than I was yesterday, and changing the world one person at a time. As Calamity Jane said, "I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should just go ahead and be one!" Won't you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment