Monday, October 26, 2015

You are a super hero!

Do you realize how many brave things you have done in your life? Often when I point out brave behavior to my friends, they shluff it off and act like it is just normal. I do it, too. But hold on one stinking second – every day, ordinary people do super brave things. Once in a while, we acknowledge our accomplishments, but not often enough. So as I sit at the car dealership (in my leggings, boots and oversized sweatshirt, messy bun hair and Tervis next to me – yep, I'm that ordinary) getting my oil changed, I'm going to recognize what I consider some extraordinary behavior.

A: This girl works for a local college. For the past month (almost every since day), she has been traveling alone, visiting schools, participating in college fairs, and doing lots of hard work. She has been living out of a suitcase, yet still being an amazing friend and source of support while she is gone. I can't travel for more than 3 days without becoming home sick. To me, A is brave!

H: She's a very busy girl who works two jobs. She leaves her house early in the morning and usually returns about 14 hours later. Her encouragement of others is absolutely amazing, and her determination is beautiful. Despite the fact that is pregnant, she ran a half marathon last weekend. She continues to work so hard to stay healthy during this pregnancy while balancing her work, time with her husband, and fun with her friends. To me, H is brave!

S: This woman works three jobs, maintains a busy house with three young children, and supports her husband's hectic work schedule. Every day, she reminds me of the most important thing of all – that God is in charge of my day. She started a non-profit this year to honor a friend who passed away from cancer. It has grown exponentially over the course of the last 6 months, but she still has bigger plans in the wings. She refuses to allow fear to hold her back from anything that feels right to her heart. To me, S is brave!

K: K was in a very unhealthy relationship when I met her. It was hard to tell her to leave the comfort of that familiarity, but I knew it was toxic. When she was ready, she kicked him out. She figured out how strong she really was, discovering a new career, new happiness and now, a beautiful new relationship with a man who treats her like a queen. She is always sharing ways that she is downsizing and minimizing clutter in her life. To me, K is brave!

T: T is an introvert. She experiences great anxiety when in public, especially around new people. Instead of letting this paralyze her, she joined a local running group... her health was more important to her! She is also homeschooling her son to balance his Asperger's. She's a godly wife and an incredible source of encouragement to those who are lucky enough to know her. To me, T is brave!

D: After several years of uncertainty and an unused college degree, D applied to go back to school. She has been taking an EMT class and finding what makes her heart happy. It hasn't been easy to admit that her first career choice didn't work out, but she isn't dwelling on it now. Every day, she takes a new step in the right direction. She refuses to be stifled by fear or judgment. To me, D is brave!

Me: Several years ago, I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and a personality disorder. Some days, I barely notice. Other days, it takes me at least 20 minutes to even swing my legs over the edge of the bed in the morning. I still struggle with the desire to isolate. I don't like to let people into my circle because my fear of abandonment is crippling. And yet, I go to the gym almost every day. I teach dance classes and manage very busy schedules for my three kids while my husband works out of town. I push through my fears and try to reach out when I need help (that's probably the bravest thing for me!) To me, I am brave!


I am sure there are a thousand more stories of people who display bravery daily, even though they may believe that what they do is “normal.” Do you know someone who does brave things? Tell them how incredible they are! And each day, I dare you to celebrate the things you do that are extraordinary. You don't need to be saving the world or fighting “bad guys” to be brave. Maybe you just fight the enemy in your head. Maybe you make it through an entire day without raising your voice at your kids. Maybe you charge forward with a dream and tell fear to take a backseat. Whatever it is, I think you're brave. Keep it up!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment