Thursday, November 5, 2015

Great expectations

Did you know that no one expects you to have it all together all of the time? Seriously, not one single person. And if you find someone that ever says that, smack them. That's just crazy talk. And you need new friends.

But guess who expects *me* to have it all together all of the time? ME! Somewhere in my messed up brain, I feel like a failure when we have laundry all over the living room (it's clean and folded and sorted, but that's just not good enough). I feel defeated when the dog hair tumbleweeds appear on our hardwood floors. The dishes overflow from the sink onto the counter and suddenly I tell myself I'm the worst person in the world. My kids argue with each other, wear mismatching clothes or walk into their dance classes 2 minutes late and I think everyone is judging me for being a horrible mom. The budget is tight and the voices in my head tell me I should have gone back to college. I have one really hard workout, I see every tiny flaw in my body or my run is just bad and I tell myself that I should just quit trying. I carry the weight of the world on my shoulders, but if I tell anyone, they will think I suck and that all I do is whine.

Never in a million years would I say ANY of those things to someone else if they were in the same situation. In fact, I would tell them how wrong they were. I would find those beautiful things that make them tick, the unique qualities that draw me to them, the way they make my life amazing and how they are irreplaceable to me. And I guarantee none of the things I would say to them have to do with laundry or sweeping or dishes or being on time or being rich or being a machine.

So quit it. Quit expecting so much out of yourself. And tell me to knock it off as well. At the end of the day, I want to count how freely I lived, how well I loved and how generously I gave. Not much else really matters to God or to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment