Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Some thoughts from the bar

I quit drinking eight years ago, so I guess that might clue you into the fact that this has nothing to do with alcohol or the local tavern. However, I had some pretty great thoughts today while I was holding a bar during a Les Mills BodyPump class. And they made me feel alive!

Before I get started, let me dispel some of those crazy myths that I'm tired of hearing. Lifting will NOT make a woman bulky. It will make her fit and build muscle. It will make her strong. It might even make her confident and happy. But huge, no. (Bodybuilding is a separate topic we can cover later.) Secondly, it doesn't make us any less feminine. I wore a pencil skirt and stilettos to church on Sunday. I got a ton of compliments and strangely enough, no one told me I looked like a man, so scratch that idea. Finally (for today, anyway), lifting is not dangerous. Honestly, anything you do or don't do can be dangerous. As long as you are lifting smart and listening to your body or your instructor/coach, you'll be fine.

Now that we have all of that out of the way, here are the things that went through my head today during Pump.

 


1. You can do anything for a short period of time.

I went to class today with a migraine. I felt like garbage. Before class even started, I gave myself permission to leave if I needed to. By the time class was half way over, I knew that I could keep going and finish class. Nice try, migraine. I win.


2. Laughing with friends is SO good for the soul.

Today's instructor is naturally silly and one of my closest friends. She always makes me laugh and today was no exception. Between the jokes, the laughing and the dancing, I couldn't help but smile! By the way, dancing with weights is even more of a challenge! Haha!


3. Moms are way too hard on themselves.

Our Tuesday morning class is made up of mostly moms. If you stick around after class or come a few minutes early, many of the conversations that can be heard revolve around what we are doing wrong as parents, what are kids are doing or not doing, and how we wish we could change this or that. Hold the phone, ladies. Being a parent is the hardest job I've ever had! You keep showing up and trying your best. I applaud you... give yourself a break.


4. Not all dripping faucets are bad.

I hate the sound of my faucets dripping. I run through the house making sure they are turned off and then yell at my kids for not noticing. During Pump, I sweat. It doesn't matter if it is the dead of winter or the middle of summer. I am soaked by the time we are 5 minutes into class. This morning, sweat was dripping from my elbows in a continuous stream. Disgusting and satisfying at the same time. That faucet did not need adjusted!


5. You are great.

There is no need to compare your accomplishments to anyone else. YOU are great just the way you are right this second. I can't run as fast as half of the people I know. My weights aren't what they used to be months ago when I was lifting three times per week. I'm not a very good cook even though I took two cooking classes in high school. I am probably the worst housekeeper in the history of mankind. But I'm still great. I run and lift weights instead of eating crappy food and lying in bed like I used to do. I'm a really good mom. I am involved in my kids' activities and I'm always there to support them. I am a godly wife. I pray for my husband daily and we work well together to keep our house running smoothly. (He's a much better cook than me!) And I am a loyal friend. I never want anyone to feel like they are alone. Ever.


And that just shows you that even when you are lifting heavy weights, you can have some amazing thought processes, "pop it" while dancing to GDFR, smile, cry and shower the floor with your sweat. Go do something that makes you feel alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment