Friday, September 4, 2015

Rest, sweet rest

Rest. Most people love that word. They take advantage of it as much as possible. They might even fantasize about it during the week. To me, it's almost a curse word. I don't like to rest from life or working out. I've gotten into a routine. I like to be busy. It eliminates the time for me to be bored. But last night was a different story.

My rest days during the week are typically Sundays and Wednesdays. I work at my church Sunday mornings, so I'm up early and out the door before anyone else is awake. I play piano, direct my choirs, sing, worship and pray. By the time I get home around noon, I don't feel like I have rested, but I skip the gym and relax with my family. That counts as rest. On Wednesdays, I alternate between BodyFlow (a mix of Tai Chi, Yoga and Pilates) and Zumba. I forego running and take it easy. Yes, that also counts as my rest.

This week has been a little flip-flopped since my kids started school. So, yesterday was going to be more of a resting day than usual... just a quick gym workout in the morning, but I would force myself not to lift in the evening. I sat down last night, antsy and anxious. "I should be doing something. Maybe I could just lift for a little bit. Or walk around the block. I wonder who else is at the gym?"  And like a swift wind, the thoughts left my mind and I sunk into my bed. I deserve rest. This is how my body repairs and how my mind refreshes. I completed nothing last night. I watched some TV and allowed myself to simply be still.

When I woke up this morning, I felt amazing. I went to the gym and felt strong. I tackled project after project today, crossed everything off of my to-do list and made it a pretty freaking incredible Friday. If I had neglected that rest yesterday, I don't think I would have felt this good.

Take time to rest. Respect the process. Allow your body time to repair and recover. Then get back at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment