Tuesday, September 22, 2015

"This year was pretty good!"

My husband sent me a text today. "Plan for dinner for your birthday?" I smiled and a tear fell down my cheek. He doesn't always remember dates. No, this is not a husband-bashing fest. My hubby is an amazing spouse and dad, he works so hard at his job, and does everything he can for our family. He loves God first so he can love us better. He just isn't particularly good with dates, and that's alright. So that fact that I was receiving this message a week in advance made me smile.

I told him I didn't have any major plans and that we might not be able to celebrate on the actual day (Dear Grandma residing in heaven, I know that it doesn't count if you don't celebrate on the DAY itself, but I promise I'm okay with it... and we'll still have cake. And I'll make someone sing to me. Love and miss you!) Then I told him to tell me the next year won't be too bad. And in his calming way he said, "You know, this year was pretty good!" And you know what? He is right.

The last year has actually been amazing. Since my last birthday, we renewed our vows. I completed my first 5k. I ran outside in the snow for the first time. I didn't overeat at Thanksgiving. (Say WHAT?!?) I started tap dancing. I found an intense passion for lifting. I completed two mud runs and didn't die. I fit back into my wedding dress 11 years and three children later. I won my first medal. Ever. I agreed to teach dance classes. I was a coach for an incredible half marathon training team. I completed a ropes course. I wore a bathing suit on the beach for the first time in years. If you ask me, that sounds like a pretty kick@$$ year, right?! So why am I so worried about the next year?



Sometimes it takes another person to give you perspective things. It is so easy to forget our blessings, to get so caught up in the chaos, the busyness, the ugly parts of our lives that we overlook the happiness, the crazy, silly giggles, the hard-won battles that demonstrated resiliency. I almost think we are programmed NOT to celebrate ourselves because it can appear conceited. But I disagree. It's healthy and necessary to be healthy and happy!

So this year, I vow to be more present... to my children, my husband, my friends. I want to listen twice as much as I speak. I want to pray over my family before bed each night (an old habit I recently let slip from my routine). I promise to find more things to be grateful for and less reasons to complain. I will reframe my thinking and turn my bad days into good ones as often as possible.

What opportunity is waiting for you in the next year? Before the end of 2015? Before your next birthday? Or the next season?

No comments:

Post a Comment